Saturday, April 19, 2008

Traffic Lights

Shame on Egyptians, really. The state of Khartoum is filled with timed-automatic-traffic lights. Like the ones installed in Dokki, but failed miserably. People here respect the traffic lights, even if there weren't any traffic police around, which usually is the case.

I was driving Friday night, and the streets were empty, and I was enjoying myself stopping at red lights. It's amazing.

Granted, Sudanese driving is as bad as Egyptian driving. And in some cases I feel like I'm driving in Egypt. But why do they obbey traffic lights? Why don't we do the same? What happened in their history that make them respect traffic signs? Knowing that our road infrastructure is more superior than theirs; we have a million highways, 4-lanes streets, paved roads!!!! Moreover, I haven't seen anyone, yet, driving in an opposite direction. I have seen people here respect the law (which is common sense) that tells you to stick to the left lane, if you're taking a left turn.

This will remain a mystery to me.

No comments: